Friday 16 December 2011

Cervical Cerclage

Well, Tuesday December 12th was the big day of my Cevical Cerclage. Something I was not looking forward to this pregnancy at all, but knew it had to be done.
I was booked to be at the hospital for 11:55am, was not allowed to eat or drink anything past midnight that day, so nearly 12 hours, and being pregnant, I was STARVING! But I managed to keep my cool. Everyone was very nice and polite. When we were at triage, the lady at the counter said they were expecting me, said hi to Isaac. Everyone was in the Christmas spirit. We got to the Day surgery ward, and again, everyone was very polite. The nurse I had was very gental, she did my IV lickity split, and it only hurt for a few seconds. The wait was short. I was wheeled over to the OR holdingroom, without my glasses, that was awkward, lol. Met with the Resident doctor, he was very nice, he explained everything to me, made sure I was very comfortable. Was sure to tell me the anesthesia was my choice, told me he would run me with antibiotics after the procedure and would do an ultrasound afterwards, it was so nice. Then I met the Anaesthesiologist, he was a nice man, he was very adamant on doing the spinal epidural, but I was not ready for that, I was so anxious, so he agreed the General was best. I met the Doctor, after finding out my OB was sick and could not do it, but it was her partner Dr.C who did it, and he was very nice as well.
We got into the OR, I told them I was very scared. Dr.C actually held my hand, they got me moved onto the bed, then they told me to tip my neck back and take deep breaths of the oxygen (lol oxygen) they had on my face. I had a bit of a panic attack but kept telling myself I'd be out really soon and remember saying, oop, there we go. After the procedure, they pulled the tube up out of my throat and I puked while they did it and I couldn't stop coughing. I got to recovery and had a bad bad pain right in the centre of my pubic area. Once I was awake enough, they gave me Tylenol. The Resident Doctor came back and talked to me, did a quick ultrasound, showing the baby lying sideways its head to my belly, feet to my back, and it was jumping like crazy, so it defiantly tolerated the anaesthesia well. He also told me that my cervix was almost gone, and had they not done the cerclage today, we would have defiantly had a repeat of last time. Luckily its all good.

I felt great afterward, except that I could feel the knot in my cervix, and it was a little sore. I barely had any bleeding whatsoever. I was able to go home by 7pm. Once home I noticed my muscles hurt like crazy. I was in so much pain in my muscles I could not sleep and didnt get to sleep until 4:30am just from pure exhaustion.
The next few days had been hard, needed help to get in the shower, to use the washroom, I can't bend or get up, some of it due to the cerclage, some due to the muscle pain in my ribs and arms. I am doing well though, ventured out for the first time since but had a little bit of bleeding when I got home, so back to lying flat. Baby is fine, been feeling it move a lot. Anyhow, thats that. We have the follow-up on Dec 28th.

14weeks today.

No comments: